We don’t know how 10 FC Dallas players were infected with the corona virus while preparing to play in the MLS is Back tournament. No one in the club decided to disclose this information or point out what happened. It is very likely that nobody really knows.
However, it is clear that this was too much for the FCD to manage the month-long tournament that starts in Orlando on Wednesday and still survive. As was the case a few weeks ago with the Orlando Pride and the NWSL Challenge Cup, which is currently being held in Utah, FC Dallas has been withdrawn from the MLS competition, which is now being continued with 25 teams.
MORE: Nani says the decision was “always” to play
“We felt that so many Dallas players who tested positive had to be quarantined that they could not train and were placed in a position where they could not participate in the tournament and do so in a way which is within our protocol, “Commissioner Don Garber told ESPN. “It was a difficult decision, but we thought the right decision for the MLS is Back Tournament was made.”
As a result of this action, there will be no shortage of shutdown comments. This was a frequent response from media members paid for reporting on sports and fans who have long supported the sport to return to the competition for any negative news that developed during various league attempts, during COVID-19 Pandemic has continued to plague the United States.
One thing to consider, however, rarely seems to be taken into consideration: it is probably safer inside the bubbles that these leagues and teams create than outside.
Beyond FC Dallas, only three members of the MLS delegation in Orlando have tested positive for the virus. That’s less than 1 percent of more than 500 players. The teams arrived almost two weeks ago, suggesting that the bubble-created environment was not injured, although Florida has become extremely problematic with the increasing volume of COVID-19 cases.
“So far I can only talk about my personal experience,” said inter-goalie Luis Robles on Monday. “It is now so developed or evolved that we go from our dining room to the treatment rooms to our buses, where we go to practice, wear our masks and keep our distance. I felt relatively safe.
“What our team keeps repeating is that we have to practice – at least we have to follow the protocols – but we have to practice good habits. That means we wear our mask as often as possible. The only time that we get dressed. ” Do not wear it in our rooms or when we are in the dining room and eat with the team. Or of course on the training field.
“I think the message I would say … is that these protocols exist for a reason, and as long as you continue to stress the importance of it and delegate responsibility to individuals and those people stick to them, I think that you increase your chances of creating the safest possible environment. “
MORE: The reigning MVP Vela is leaving the tournament
An NWSL source told Orlando Sentinel that the Pride’s positive tests were due to a visit by several employees to a bar.
Six FC Dallas players tested positive when they arrived in Orlando. They may have been infected with the virus during transportation or before leaving. If they had not been tested to gain access to the MLS bladder, the original patient might not have noticed his condition and could have infected many more people. At this point, we cannot know.
The FCD’s games had originally been postponed in the hope that a representative team would be able to start and compete as soon as the healthy players had enough time to train. The three group matches for each team in the tournament are to be counted in the regular season, provided MLS can resume the competition at home stadiums sometime in the autumn as planned. Three makeup games must be scheduled in Dallas.
We can hope that this will be a problem that MLS will have to deal with in the coming months. If they still play football in the fall, it means that a lot has gone right: with the upcoming tournament and with fighting the ongoing pandemic. We could all use good news.